[Systems] [Sugar-devel] Help the sugarlabs wiki is being spammed with new user creation.

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Mon Apr 29 10:13:40 EDT 2013

On 04/26/13 13:41, Frederick Grose wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Sebastian Silva
> <sebastian at fuentelibre.org <mailto:sebastian at fuentelibre.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>     As was done for Local Labs wikis, suggested by Kristian Paul from
>     Colombia, I've added ReCaptcha filter
>     for new user creation to the Wiki.
>     Hopefully this will help with the spam problem.
>     Thanks!
>
>     El 26/04/13 03:57, Thomas Gilliard escribió:
>
>         Fred:
>
>         Yesterday bernie opened up the new user creation filter.
>
>         The wiki is being badly spammed .
>
>         Can you turn it off?
>
>         Help
>
>         Tom Gilliard
>         satellit
>

> Could those who modified the configuration for the main Sugar Labs wiki,
> wiki.sugarlabs.org <http://wiki.sugarlabs.org>, please document all the
> recent changes here by date and time, so we can understand the effects
> of this experiment.
>
> The main wiki did not have a spam problem before 11:18, 25 April 2013,
> as recorded in the user creation log,
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/index.php?title=Special:Log/newusers&offset=20130425232746&type=newusers&user=

Sorry, it's my fault: a user on irc couldn't create a new account with
OpenID, so I uncommented the line

  $wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;

in LocalSettings.php. I thought I had commented it back just after the
user had successfully created the new account, but evidently I forgot to
save the change.

Frederick, what can we do to cleanup the spam?

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team