[Systems] pe.wiki cleanup

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 20:46:05 EST 2012

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> Starting a systems thread for this topic:
>
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I have prepared a series of chunk-sized wiki clean up tasks and I
>> would like to ask you if you would please consider signing up as a GCI
>> mentor and managing these tasks.
>>
>> http://pe.sugarlabs.org/go/Wiki_Clean_Up
> I can mentor this task.

Frederick, please sign up as a GCI mentor via the GCI site.  I can't
add you as a mentor on the tasks  until you are registered.

Luke Faraone has also volunteered to mentor these tasks (the overall
clean-up is split into 20 tasks of about 200 pages each).  I will list
you both once FGrose is registered on GCI.

> These are some of my initial thoughts:
>
> In addition to cleanup, we should install/activate the Bad Behavior
> extention that we have on our main wiki,
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Special:Version, which seems to block this sort
> of spam.

That sounds good.  The clean-up only involves granting temporary wiki
sysop to GCI participants.  On a wiki, even page deletes can be
undone, so very little risk is involved.

I'm not entirely inclined to open deep sysadmin tasks like adding
extensions to GCI kids.

> The number of proper pe.wiki pages may be significantly fewer than the
> number of spam pages at this point.  The proper pages could be selected,
> exported, and imported into a fresh, new page database.  That may be a
> smaller and more instructive task.  (Sebastian, or someone familiar with the
> pe.wiki would have to aid in identifying the proper pages.)

I had originally asked Sebastian to take responsibility for creating
the tasks (as stewardship of the .pe wiki he requested be created
would seem to be his responsibility to manage), but he is travelling
and I was unwilling to let the opportunity to recruit GCI help pass
without action.

I developed the clean up tasks in a manner that allowed for minimal
administrative intervention and to be easily scored as completed.   I
do not really care what color we paint this bikeshed, I just want the
graffiti gone before someone slaps a condemned sticker on it as a
haven for links to malware sites.

Recreating the site from a whitelist might be an idea for later, but
for now, the blacklist (to be deleted) tasks will help in revealing
the few pages that are in active use, so I am inclined to move forward
on them in any event.  We can always add more tasks later, but I'm not
in a position to vouch for giving any GCI kid machine sysadmin-level
access as some of these other approaches would require.

cjl