[Systems] pe.wiki cleanup

Frederick Grose fgrose at sugarlabs.org
Sun Nov 25 12:28:07 EST 2012

Starting a systems thread for this topic:

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear FGrose,
>
> I have prepared a series of chunk-sized wiki clean up tasks and I
> would like to ask you if you would please consider signing up as a GCI
> mentor and managing these tasks.
>
> http://pe.sugarlabs.org/go/Wiki_Clean_Up
>
> All you really need to do is approve the participant when they select
> the task. elevate their wiki priv (temporarily)  and look at the
> relevant wiki page to make sure all of the links have changed from
> blue to red (indicating the deletion of the spam pages).
>
> This is important because as you know, wiki spam tends to have
> outgoing links tha tmay lead to malware containing sites.  Wiht your
> vast countervandalizm work as a b-crat on th eOLPC and Sugar Labs
> wikis, you are well-positioned to act as a mentor on these tasks aimed
> at cleaning up the SomosAzucar wiki (which lives on Sugar Labs
> infrastructure).
>
> Someone acting as a b-crat on the SomosAzucar wiki will need to make
> the GCI participant a wiki sysop (temporarily) so they can delete
> these spam pages.  I am a b-crat there and if you are not, we can
> certainly arrange for you to be set up as one.
>
> Please let me know if you are willing to take this on and I can give
> you more details about signing up as a GCI mentor.  I would do it
> myself, but I am trying to focus my attention on general GCI
> organization admin stuff, like designing new tasks for the
> participants and recruiting mentors.  Your help with mentoring these
> simple tasks would be very helpful.
>
> Warmest Regards,
>
> cjl

I can mentor this task.

These are some of my initial thoughts:

In addition to cleanup, we should install/activate the Bad Behavior
extention that we have on our main wiki,
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Special:Version, which seems to block this
sort of spam.

The number of proper pe.wiki pages may be significantly fewer than the
number of spam pages at this point.  The proper pages could be selected,
exported, and imported into a fresh, new page database.  That may be a
smaller and more instructive task.  (Sebastian, or someone familiar with
the pe.wiki would have to aid in identifying the proper pages.)

           --Fred