[Systems] Bug trackers for downstream issues discussion

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Wed Mar 14 16:34:06 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 15:24 -0300, Pablo Flores wrote:

>       * If we use a public bugtracker, no matter if it's bugs.sl.org
>         or another one, we have a mandatory need, which is being able
>         to customize it to the workflow of the deployments. This
>         includes adding specific fields and statuses in the
>         bugtracker. Those customizations may vary from deployment to
>         deployment. So, for being able to use a public bugtracker with
>         deployments, AC should be able to customize it as much as
>         needed. Would this be possible to do with a shared bugtracker
>         or would it be better that AC sets up its own (public) one?

I think that adding custom tags to bugs such as the current "dextrose"
keyword is a good thing. Trac allows creating custom queries based on
any keyword, resulting in useful tools for project management:

  http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/wiki/Dextrose

However, when Seeta used bugs.sugarlabs.org a couple of years ago, they
started adding all sorts of components, keywords, milestones and
versions to existing bugs. Seeta engineers started reassigning existing
bugs to a faceless "seeta" user or adding mysterious keywords that
nobody outside Seeta could interpret. Many Sugar developers found all
this bug-tracker churn quite annoying and asked me to make them stop.

So I think that it's ok to extend our public bug tracker in ways that
make it more useful for everybody. Silbe already has admin rights on
bugs.sugarlabs.org and I trust his judgment on what constitutes an
acceptable configuration change for the Sugar community.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team