[Systems] server for Squeakland?

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Fri Nov 18 19:29:37 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-16 at 13:28 +0100, Rita Freudenberg wrote:
> Dear Bernie,
>
> I talked to Walter while in Prague 2 weeks ago about the ongoing
> things with Squeakland. We are working on a new Squeakland website
> using open source tools with the goal to make the interactive
> experience of the website better and make it easier for the community
> to edit the website. One problem we need to solve for the new website
> is hosting. I'm not sure now if we can stay for free with our current
> host. We didn't ask because we don't have the new site in place in
> case the answer is "no".
> Walter suggested that I ask you if it would be possible to host the
> Squeakland website with Sugar Labs. So that's what I'm asking. We plan
> to redo the showcase which will hopefully result in a more frequent
> use, but I don't expect the traffic the Scratch website is generating.
> Please let me know what else you need to know to think about that.

We're glad to help out! Our infrastructure already serving a number of
projects loosely related with Sugar.

What are the technical requirements for hosting your website? We can
offer a dedicated virtual machine running any version of Ubuntu or
Debian. System administration will be entirely your responsibility,
including security updates and backups.

Two notes of warning:

- our primary systems are colocated at the Free Software Foundation. We
agreed that we won't use their IPs to run, distribute or advertise
non-free software;

- over the next 2-3 months, the FSF might have to relocate all their
servers elsewhere. This will cause downtime for us as well.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team