[Systems] translate.sl.o

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Mon Apr 18 11:08:56 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 10:35 -0400, Chris Leonard wrote:

> Thanks bernie.  I know Pootle causes headaches, but it is a very nice
> localization system from the localizers POV.  I suppose we could
> investigate hosting by Transifex or Launchpad, but in my opinion,
> those have inferior workflows and are inadequate for Sugar Labs needs.
> I've been looking extensively at upstream L10n workflows in order to
> make sure we get all the upstream L10n bits we need, and the more I
> look, the better I like Pootle.

Could we switch to a non-web translation workflow?

1. regenerate the .po files with new strings

2. send the .po files to translators (this can be done via email or a
link to the file in gitweb)

3. receive the updated .po file back from translators

4. check for obvious errors and commit to git

It may sound like a lot of manual work, but I suspect that it would take
less time than maintaining Pootle. Of course, it's only necessary for
translators who can't use git themselves.

Shall we move the discussion to sugar-devel?
--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team