[Systems] Commit archive list

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 11:58:00 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 09:37 +0200, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>
> > It's a start, but not enough. The most important missing piece is a diff
> > for each commit. As for the format, I'd prefer something similar to a
> > patch series. I.e. a mail for the push and a single mail in
> > git-sendemail format for each commit, with In-Reply-To: set to the
> > Message-ID of the push notification. That's just my personal preference,
> > of course - maybe others would like a different format.
>
> I also dislike clicking on the link to find the actual diff in a web
> page, but I find the per-project notification feature of Gitorious a lot
> easier to use than subscribing to a mailman list. It's also a lot easier
> to maintain for us systems administrators.
>
> Perhaps we could extend gitorious to append the patches to the
> notification messages? Shouldn't be too hard...

My perspective on this is that I am trying to track over 100 projects in
over 100 languages and therefore the key element of any scheme for me is
asynchronous (archived) searching capability, in particular in the context
of chronology.  (i.e. has a given project in a given language been committed
since we updated the template).  This is why a mailman archive has a certain
appeal to me.

Sayamindu had hacked up a commit indicator in Pootle, but it was imperfect
anyway and we lost it in the upgrade.

cjl