[Systems] Wiki: Search text entry missing

Frederick Grose fgrose at sugarlabs.org
Thu Sep 16 22:23:46 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 6:34 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 16:10 -0400, Frederick Grose wrote:
>

> > I've commented out $wgVectorUseSimpleSearch in
> > wiki-devel/LocalSettings.php. Does http://wiki-devel.sugarlabs.org
> > with the Vector skin provide the behavior you desire?
>
> Now I see the buttons, but they take up a lot of space and make the page
> look more cluttered.
>
> What is the goal? Make mediawiki work without Javascript? If so, perhaps
> we could enclose the buttons in a <noscript> section. Or, better, file a
> bug on Mediawiki. Sascha, would you like to do that?
>

> > I think Josh hardcoded ShikiWiki.php to match the single button search
> > behavior.
>
> Shall we decommission the Shikiwiki skin? It's outdated and may interact
> badly with Mediawiki 1.16.
>
> Hopefully, people who selected this skin in their profile will get
> Vector as default.

 According to
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Skin_configuration#Set_a_Default_Skin_for_a_Wiki
,

To change all existing users' skin settings, use the userOptions.php
maintenance
script <https://mail.google.com/wiki/Manual:Maintenance_scripts>. The syntax
to use on the command line would be:

$ php userOptions.php
<https://mail.google.com/wiki/Manual:UserOptions.php> skin --old <old
skin name> --new <new skin name>

Example:

$ php userOptions.php skin --old "monobook" --new "modern"

But since ShikiWiki is currently working in MediaWiki 1.16 r71885, I would
keep it as an option for people to choose.  At the point in time that it
fails, we can decide to rebase it on the Vector code, decommission it, or
leave it for a upgrade project for any interested party.

> Also: the SL logo in the top-left corner does not have alpha so it shows
> an ugly white background with some skins.

According to the Sugar Labs Graphic identity,
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marketing_Team/Logo#Sugar_Graphic_Identity,

"The logo can sit either on a white or black background, and the color
combinations change order based on the background--against a white
background the outline color around "sugar" is always lighter than the fill
color, while against a black background the outline color is darker than the
fill color."

The gray letters over the Vector gray background might not look right.
Perhaps we can create a fade to gray border, like the Vector tab treatment,
to make the logo image fit in better with Vector.

         --Fred