[Systems] http[s]://lists.sugarlabs.org down

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Oct 17 12:58:28 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 09:46 +0200, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> > > I wanted to add a "PATCH" topic to sugar-devel so people like JT4Sugar
> > > can filter out the review traffic.
> >
> > Very nice idea.
>
> Done. How can I check whether it worked (other than subscribing from a
> second address)? I don't see anything regarding topics in
> /var/log/mailman/...

Can you please document it in the list description on mailman? The other
tags are documented there.

> > Can you also add a topic for !PATCH? Some people may like it.
>
> I'm not sure that's a good idea. For one thing it doesn't play nice with
> how topic filters work. If someone wants to filter out patches (instead
> of receiving only patches), the way to achieve that is to check all
> other topics and the "Do you want to receive messages that do not match
> any topic filter?" option.

Ah ok.

> The other question that comes up is whether mailman assigns messages to
> all matching topics or just the first one. I haven't found any answer
> to this when I searched for it some time ago. Since the admin interface
> let's you choose the insertion point for new topics, mailman probably
> matches just the first topic, so a !PATCH filter wouldn't work anyway.

I don't know either. We'll probably find that out after we've been using
topics for a while.

BTW, I would like to improve accessibility to our lists in two ways:

 * nntp gateway: mostly for us nerds, easy to setup

 * a forum-like web interface: does anyone know existing software?