[Systems] Backup tool

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Nov 11 18:32:41 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 20:24 +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As we recently noticed that duplicity doesn't scale well enough, maybe
> bup might be worth a try?
> Obviously it lacks the main advantage of duplicity: Since no encryption
> is involved, everyone with sufficient access on the backup server can
> read everything on all backed-up hosts. Depending on who operates the
> backup server, this might matter much for SL.

For sunjammer, I opted to keep backups on treehouse, which is operated
by a subset of the people with root on sunjammer. Disk space is a little
tight, but for now it's doing well. I documented everything here:

 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Machine/sunjammer#Backups

The backup tool is simple, stupid and time-tested. It won't betray
us :-)