[Systems] aslo cluster progress

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 14:32:27 EDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 13:39 -0600, David Farning wrote:
>
>> I haven't turned the web node on treehouse back on since
>> it crashed last week.  All of the traffic is still going
>> through sunjammer again.
>
> Oh yeah... We still don't know what caused it?
>
> Maybe we could leave a few cpuburn processes running for a while to see
> if heating could trigger the crash again.
>

>> > I'm very glad the load on Sunjammer is lower than before. Do you think
>> > we may need to setup one more web node on housetree?
>>
>> We never exceeded 1/4 of the available cpu on housetree while
>> sending 99% of the php traffic to the web-node.
>> If we let sunjammer carry part of the load we can handle 6 times
>> the current load with the existing setup.
>
> Great.

Yes, this gives us a very nice cushion to fall back on if the cluster
blows up or fails miserably?

>> My concern is the networking on treehouse.  When treehouse
>> hung last week and when it kept crashing last fall it always
>> seemed to happen while under heavy network usage.
>
> Good point. Now we're running a new kernel on the host. I might
> run some network stress tests to see if we could still trigger it.

It would be useful if we could depend on being able to use treehouse
under full load if we need to.

>> > For NFS, I might configure a VPN or something like that.
>>
>> If it is not to hard, it is worth trying....
>
> I'll give it a try. We don't really need anything fancy, just a
> point-to-point tunnel offering a bit of protection against spoofing.
>
>> The confusing part is that I had to call both the proxy and
>> the individual apaches vhosts activities.sl.o.  This was
>> required by the session authorization in aslo.
>
> Ah, now I see! The same virtualhost block does both functions, proxy and
> actual node... based on the IP address being matched.
>
> I think we should also add sunjammer's IPv6 address.

Could you or dogi look into that?  I don't have ipv6 service or anyway
to test it.

david.

BTW, I am taking a family weekend so the database work will have to
wait a few days.