[Systems] API for activities.sugarlabs.org?

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Thu Mar 4 11:03:14 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 12:26:30PM -0300, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 12:17 -0200, Pablo Flores wrote:
>
> > I liked the idea of creating a specific locale for Uruguay. Even
> > better if we can use a virtual host in the domain ceibaljam.org.

I'm afraid I wasn't clear, I meant that if user opnes ASLO from es_UY
locale, ASLO will pick it up and change current locale to es_UY (see
"Other languages" combobox at the bottom of main page) and e.g. will
show only comments only from es_UY people.

> For the locale, I guess alsroot can add es_UY easily.
>
> For the virtual host, just set activities.ceibaljam.org as a CNAME
> pointing to sunjammer.sugarlabs.org. I'll do the rest in Apache.
>

> > In this way, we could use a different theme and have separate reviews.
> > Question: would the average rating be based in only our locale
> > reviews? That would be the best...

so, it is impissible to have separate theming for es_UY

> I don't know if it is easy or possible to customize the css or the logo
> based on the virtual host. It might require some coding work in the
> Remora codebase.

but we can create separate web node particular for Uruguay
e.g. we have two web nodes that use the same MySQL db and directories
with activity bundles. So we can just have 3rd web node but with Uruguay
theming applied and w/ some PHP hacks to show comments/strings only from
es_UY people.

> If you would like to experiment, we could give you access to sunjammer.
> We already have two sandboxes where developers can work on things like
> this without disrupting the production service:
>
>  http://activities-testing.sugarlabs.org
>  http://activities-devel.sugarlabs.org
>
> If it turns out that these sandboxes are in use by other aslo
> maintainers, we can easily create a new one specifically for you.
> Whoever is going to perform this work should request a shell account:
>
>   http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sysadmin/Shell_account_request
>
> Some PHP and web application development experience would be needed.
> Aleksey Lim, the primary ASLO hacker, could provide guidance along with
> David Farning and a few others who are familiar with the Remora
> codebase.
>
> We can coordinate on IRC in the #sugar channel. My nickname is "bernie"
> and Aleksey is known as alsroot. Aleksey lives in Siberia, but his
> working timezone is shifted more towards central Europe :-)
>

> > We would have our activities separate from others by using a
> > "ceibalJAM" collection, having the chance of having feeds and jump
> > easily to other Sugar activities downloads. Sounds great!

it could be not only collections but all featured activities (Recommended
section on main page) could be setup only for es_UY.

> Yeah, I guess this would be easy to do. Aleksey?
>

> > So the biggest challenge seems to be making a single sign on, or at
> > least letting the users from our portal to be signed in automatically
> > in ASLO. How can we help you for that?
>
> I'm not familiar enough with the code to give a good technical advice.
> Depending how much engineering work are you willing to put into it, we
> could implement OpenID support or just synchronize the user accounts
> from Drupal with a cron job.

well, we have strong intension to use ASLO for Uruguay, issue will be
resolved somehow

> If you want to have a preliminary look, our current code can be
> downloaded with git from here:
>
>   http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/slo-activities/repos/mainline
>

> Some useful documentation is available in the Sugar Labs wiki:
>
>   http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Library
>   http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Library/Devel
>   http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Library/Design

about theming, in git repo there are several branches

    master, ASLO patches w/o any custom theming
    master-theme, only theming patches

e.g. on http://activities-devel.sugarlabs.org/
you can see original AMO theme in comparing with sugarized one on
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/

--
Aleksey