[Systems] API for activities.sugarlabs.org?

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Mar 4 10:26:30 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 12:17 -0200, Pablo Flores wrote:

> I liked the idea of creating a specific locale for Uruguay. Even
> better if we can use a virtual host in the domain ceibaljam.org.

For the locale, I guess alsroot can add es_UY easily.

For the virtual host, just set activities.ceibaljam.org as a CNAME
pointing to sunjammer.sugarlabs.org. I'll do the rest in Apache.

> In this way, we could use a different theme and have separate reviews.
> Question: would the average rating be based in only our locale
> reviews? That would be the best...

I don't know if it is easy or possible to customize the css or the logo
based on the virtual host. It might require some coding work in the
Remora codebase.

If you would like to experiment, we could give you access to sunjammer.
We already have two sandboxes where developers can work on things like
this without disrupting the production service:

 http://activities-testing.sugarlabs.org
 http://activities-devel.sugarlabs.org

If it turns out that these sandboxes are in use by other aslo
maintainers, we can easily create a new one specifically for you.
Whoever is going to perform this work should request a shell account:

  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sysadmin/Shell_account_request

Some PHP and web application development experience would be needed.
Aleksey Lim, the primary ASLO hacker, could provide guidance along with
David Farning and a few others who are familiar with the Remora
codebase.

We can coordinate on IRC in the #sugar channel. My nickname is "bernie"
and Aleksey is known as alsroot. Aleksey lives in Siberia, but his
working timezone is shifted more towards central Europe :-)

> We would have our activities separate from others by using a
> "ceibalJAM" collection, having the chance of having feeds and jump
> easily to other Sugar activities downloads. Sounds great!

Yeah, I guess this would be easy to do. Aleksey?

> So the biggest challenge seems to be making a single sign on, or at
> least letting the users from our portal to be signed in automatically
> in ASLO. How can we help you for that?

I'm not familiar enough with the code to give a good technical advice.
Depending how much engineering work are you willing to put into it, we
could implement OpenID support or just synchronize the user accounts
from Drupal with a cron job.

If you want to have a preliminary look, our current code can be
downloaded with git from here:

  http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/slo-activities/repos/mainline

Some useful documentation is available in the Sugar Labs wiki:

  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Library
  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Library/Devel
  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Library/Design