[Systems] ASLO update

dfarning at gmail.com dfarning at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 16:52:00 EST 2010

The activities.sugarlabs.org update is progressing.  It has taken some detours but I think they will be worth it.

A couple of weeks ago the mediawiki machines arrived.  6 in Boston and 6 in Washington DC.  Of the 6 in Boston,  Dogi has 3 tested and rack at Pika which we are using to set up the cluster before it moved to its final home.

ASLO lost its future home at the Computer Science House at RIT.  They were having trouble with the cooling in the dorm's data center.  Steve  and Bernie are looking for a new home in the Student Inovation Center.  Once the new home is ready we will put Dogi on a train, plane or auto mobile with a bunch of servers so he can work the the data centers staff to rack the machines.

Software set up is coming along.  (It better, because Schools in Paraguay opened their doors last week and schools in Uruguay after summer break.)  I have gotten to the point where I can bring up a stand alone ASLO node 90% of the way via puppet.  There are still some pieces of glue code missing but I hope to get at that this afternoon.

The next phase is to puppetify the load balancing and failover mechanism.  My goal is to be able to describe something such as:

New node {
  import role::aslo

  tasks [ web, proxy]
}

Then puppet will take care of all the plumbing to:
1. Set up the stand alone node
2. Configure the 'clustering' stuff such as:
  a. squid know to add the new machine to the webserverpool
  b. munin knows to add the new machine to the munin monitor,
  c. heart beat knows to add the to the proxy pool.

The hope is that once the system is in place, it will be trivial to add new or replace machines as the load shifts.

Longer term, we discussed started a discussion about how to share turtle bundles.  It looks like the problem will split of very nicely into client side and server side pieces.  So the core Sugar team can tackle the issue from one side and the infrastructure team can tackle it from the other.

david