[Systems] [support.osuosl.org #10739] git.sugarlabs.org: Gitorious upgrade

Lance Albertson via RT support at osuosl.org
Mon Mar 1 13:23:35 EST 2010

On Sat Feb 27 23:49:49 2010, bernie at codewiz.org wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 18:27 +0000, Lance Albertson via RT wrote:
> > Just letting you know that I haven't forgotten about this ticket.
> > I've been very busy working on a larger project and haven't had a
> > chance to look into this. Unfortunately I don't have many students
> > that are familiar with Rails to help with this but I may need to
> > teach someone real quick. What kind of a deadline would you like to
> > have to get this done? I think you should be able to at least get
> > this tested on the dev side in the meantime.
>
> Since this is a service enhancement, we don't have a particular
> deadline, but it would be nice to provide the new features of
> Gitorious to our developers.

I've hired a couple of new students so we can hopefully get to this
eventually sooner.

> I tried to perform an upgrade myself in the development environment,
> but since I'm unfamiliar with Rails myself, I got stuck on
> unprivileged installation of the required gems.
>
> There are now nice upgrade instructions for Gitorious:
>
>  http://gitorious.org/gitorious/pages/Upgrading
>
> There are also specific instructions for Gentoo:
>
>  http://gitorious.org/gitorious/pages/Gentoo_Installation

Thanks for the pointers.

> A privileged admin would be required. If none of the OSU-OSL admins is
> available to work on this, maybe we could create a clone of the
> production VM and give root to one of our admins?

Unfortunately we're low on space for new VMs so this isn't an option in
the short term. We're busy working on a replacement VM backend which is
why we're so busy lately.

I'll let you know once I find out more information.

--
Lance Albertson
Systems Administrator / Architect