[Systems] ping aslo master

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-systems at silbe.org
Mon Jan 18 18:22:42 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 05:24:11PM -0300, Bernie Innocenti wrote:

> Together, these boxes are likely to provide less processing power than
> the dual-quad-core server we had in mind. Reliability would also be a
> concern, but we probably need to make all components redundant anyway.
>
> On the positive side, we're going to save $3000 from our IT budget and
> provide a valuable opportunity for collaboration with both Wikimedia
> and
> CSH, as David points out.

That's exactly the trade-off. We save some money, but increase the
effort needed _now_ to get it going (we'd need to cluster a.sl.o later
anyway, but would have more time to do it).
Whether it's worth it primarily depends on who's going to do the work.
David, would you be willing to help us? As these are physically separate
machines and probably even get a private network, many of the concerns
Bernie, Ivan and I had with the current VM based setup don't apply
anymore.

On a related note: How well does AMO scale geographically? I.e. would it
be possible to set up an a.sl.o node (frontend + whatever it needs) in
Europe? Can it cope with connectivity issues (continuing to provide
read-only access during intercontinental routing issues)?

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/