[Systems] First weekly meeting and other matters...

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Wed Feb 17 23:04:24 EST 2010

As this thread is shifting to some systems related topics, I have cced
systems.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Jeff Elkner <jeff at elkner.net> wrote:

> Wow, now that's a cool proposal?  Luke and company, what do you think?
>  We wouldn't need physical access as long as you would do that for us
> if needed.

I have been chatting with luke..... Seems he is as surprised as the rest of
us at the quantity they sent:)

My first reaction is to focus on the machines going to RIT....  Even if that
means sitting on the other machines for a couple of months.

Once ASLO is out of the way, it looks like Sugar Labs has plenty of existing
capacity.  The big resource hog, downloads, is running nicely from our
Content Distribution Network.  We have some seriously fat pipes from Ibiblo,
MIT, and RIT.

The next hog, ASLO, should work out well at RIT.  Because the activities
themselves are pushed through the CDN, ASLO is mainly cpu load.  I am happy
with the hosting relationship at RIT because all parties are coming out
ahead.  We have a cool infrastructure project which needs hosting.  RIT has
geeks who need sysadmin experience.  WIN-WIN.

Our machines at the Free Software Foundation also fit in nicely with their
mission.  I am a little more hesitant to ask for hosting from Gallaudet
until we can provide them with something of equal value in return.  I would
guess the Gallaudet is not overflowing with geeks needing sysadmin
experience.

On the other hand, the improved video performance of the XO1.5 (and netbooks
in general) opens a lot of doors for hearing impaired individuals to
communicate via video chat.  If we could tie this in with Gallaudet's
startigic goal of "**Create infrastructure for a virtual campus to attract
tomorrow’s visual learners and serve as a platform for greatly expanded
offerings in online and hybrid education."  Bringing the open source world
together with Gallaudet's emphasis on visual learning around project like
Video Chat _would_ be a win for everyone.

Another option would be to put two or three machine in trans-world for
redundantly hosting the wiki, web site, and email systems for Sugar Labs and
Local Labs.

On Tuesday afternoons Dogi runs an Infrastructure meeting.  It might be
worthwhile to wait until then before moving.

david

Luke should first describe what would be running on them, so we could