[Systems] ASLO bootcamp at RIT weekend of March 7 or 14

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 22:00:23 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 15:18 -0600, David Farning wrote:
> > I just wanted to poll the interest on these lists about an ASLO
> > bootcamp which we are planning for either the weekend of March 7 or 14
> > on the RIT campus.
> >
> > The format will be a series of 5 sessions on:
> >       * 1.1 Session 0 Systems
> >       * 1.2 Stage 1 Basic Web Site Technologies
> >       * 1.3 Stage 2 Caching
> >       * 1.4 Stage 3 Load balancing
> >       * 1.5 Stage 4 Reliability
> > Each session will be a three hour block consisting of:
> > 1h Theory - Lecture.
> > 1h Tutorial - structured exploration.
> > 1h Free exploration.
> >
> > To encourage wider participation, I hope to:
> > 1. Live stream and record the lectures.
> > 2. Encourage remote participation via IRC
> > 2. Make all tutorials and resources available on the Sugar Labs wiki.
> >
> > Please let me know if you are interested in participating in person,
> > remotely, or possible use the resources in the future.  The long term
> > goal is to create a bootcamp format where senior community members canng
> > effectively engage and share their knowledge and experience with new
> > community members.
>
> I wish I were there in person, but I'll try to participate from remote
> if we can get people to join IRC and redirect important communication
> through it.
>
> Very nice!

This brings us up to 6 in person and 6 remote!

I am working on the logistics of 5 three hour blocks each followed by a hour
meal break.  It will be a lot of work but it should be worth it.  The
lecture, tutorial, explore, break sequence should give us a nice rhythm that
will suit both in person and remote learning.  I am planning on giving the
lectures.  Dogi can run the tutorial sections.

I am particularly interested about how the free exploration hours will go.
The participants seem to have a wide variety of backgrounds and interest.
So, the exploration will take us in interest directions.  We have many more
details to work out.

It could be a total flop or it could be a home run.  But it seems worth the
risk.

david