[Systems] F12 Buildslave Reboot and F11 Usage?

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Nov 24 13:57:34 EST 2009

[cc += systems]

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 16:00 +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> > Why not clone the F12 machine instead?
> I'd prefer a Debian machine instead, especially if we're not using
> bcfg2 yet (so I'll end having to do distro updates). (*)
>
> Sebastian, do you need more recent software than what's available in
> Debian Lenny? If yes, do you expect that you'll always be needing
> rather recent software (=> Ubuntu) or is it just for the first setup (=>
> Debian)?

We would have just used Sunjammer if it were possible rather than
install a full blown VM just for one web service.

The problem is that TypePad (http://www.typepad.com/) is not packaged in
Debian/Ubuntu and a lot of its Django dependencies are also missing.
We'd better use distro supported packages whenever possible, hence the
need for a Fedora box.

> PS: Is there a reason we're keeping this off systems@?

You're right. We should cc systems@ for any non-confidential,
non-trivial communication.

> (*) I don't think I'll have time to dig into bcfg2 until after I've
> finished my diploma thesis, sorry. I'm quite behind already. :-/

Perhaps Danny will.

Frankly, I'd rather try to keep the number of machines low enough that
we do not require heavy-artillery. I'm a bit worried that our
infrastructure may be growing disproportionately big with respect to the
rest of the project.