[Systems] wiki.sugarlabs.org special page problem

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Jun 14 13:32:04 EDT 2009

On 06/14/09 18:39, Gary C Martin wrote:
> Hi Bernie,
>
> Just wanted to report an issue I've recently noticed.
>
> By visiting the special page for gallery of new files:
>
>     http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Special:NewImages
>
> All wiki.sugarlabs.org access locks up until the special page finally
> displays, it takes about 2 min or so to complete. Example: Visit the
> NewImages page, and then use other browser sessions or machines to try
> to visit some other wiki.SL.org page, no response for several minutes.

Confirmed.  And the Apache log is full of these:

/var/www-sugarlabs/wiki/bin/ulimit4.sh: line 4: 25357 Killed
      '/usr/bin/convert' -background white -size 120
'/var/www-sugarlabs/wiki/images/2/2d/Basic-sugar-boot.gif' -coalesce
-thumbnail '120x120!' -depth 8 '/var/www-sugarlabs/wiki/images/thum
/2/2d/Basic-sugar-boot.gif/120px-Basic-sugar-boot.gif' 2>&1

Because it happens with *all* images, perhaps ImageMagick is broken.

> This may just be coincidence, but I'm half wondering if PIL is
> attempting to render thumbnails and getting horribly OOM as I am seeing
> some (but not all) of the boot animation gifs showing a "Error creating
> thumbnail:" message:
>
>     http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:Refined-XO-sugar-boot-with-overlap.gif
>
>     http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:Sugar_boot_XOgrow_spectrum_no-outline.gif
>
>     http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:Sugar_boot_XOgrow_spectrum.gif
>     http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:Rrefined-XO-sugar-boot-with-colour-and-grey.gif
>
>     http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:Refined-XO-sugar-boot-with-colour.gif
>
>     http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:Refined-XO-sugar-boot.gif
>     http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:Multi-colour-sugar-boot.gif
>     http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:Basic-sugar-boot.gif
>
> While others are showing fine as animated thumbnails:
>
>     http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:XO-sugar-boot-with-progress-bar.gif
>     http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:Sugar_boot_XO_spectrum.gif
>     http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:Refined-XO-sugar-boot-with-12-large-colour.gif

It's ImageMagick, not PIL, but I'll have a look.