[Systems] Enabling https://translate.sugarlabs.org

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Jul 2 00:31:13 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 01:56 +0530, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
> Since the older Pootle site (https://dev.laptop.org/translate)
> redirects to https://translate.sugarlabs.org, I am thinking about
> enabling that. It will cause the ugly "Untrusted connection" in
> Firefox, and similar in other browsers, but I think our users can live
> with it. Currently the link leads to people.sugarlabs.org
> Is it OK to go ahead ?

Sorry I didn't reply to this one.

Eventually, me and Sayamindu met on IRC and configured SSL name-based
virtual hosts using the same wildcard certificate "*.sugarlabs.org" for
them all.

The certificate is signed by CACert, so it gives a warning on most
browsers.  I wouldn't bother purchasing one from an accredited CA until
we use SSL with our end-users.

And even then, rather than paying the pizzo (*) to the SSL mafia, we
coul create our own Sugar Labs CA and install our certificate in the
bundle used by Browse.  IIRC, OLPC was also doing this.

(*) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzo_%28extortion%29