[Systems] [support.osuosl.org #5846] Sugar Labs: Hosting for Pootle

Lance Albertson via RT support at osuosl.org
Wed Jan 21 18:28:01 EST 2009

On Tue Jan 13 17:26:32 2009, bernie at codewiz.org wrote:
> Chris Leonard wrote:

> The memory footprint of our instance is 1.6GB though, and the VM needs
> to be CPU limited because Pootle is quite a hog.
>
> We don't have any particular distro requirement, and Python 2.4 would
> do, therefore CentOS 5 would work for us this time.  I'm also not
> opposed to Gentoo, for uniformity.
>
> We'd like to make Chris the maintainer of Pootle, and I will be a
> backup admin.
>
> Dogi (on cc) is the current admin of the machine that runs Pootle.  We
> should coordinate with him to move data once the new instance is
> stable.

Unfortunately I don't think this will be ideal to be host on our primary
virtualization infrastructure. I vaguely remember you guys talking about
purchasing a server and to host some virtualized machines on there in
the past. If that is the case the I suggest that we consider going that
route, especially for a service like this. It shouldn't be hard to
manage it inside of a VM on a machine you guys have. We just have
limited amount of resources on our Xen infrastructure not to mention a
bottle neck with I/O.

This would be my proposal but you guys obviously think it over and do
what you feel is best.

* Sugarlabs purchase a new beefy server for sugarlabs (please run the
  specs by me first)
* Set it up as a KVM box to host several virtual machines on it
* Setup a VM for Pootle on there
* Potentially move git.sugarlabs.org to this server
* Shell server for sugarlabs? (I recall you requesting that too)

This gives you flexibility of having your own hardware while having the
ability of separating services between different VMs. I tend to
recommend keeping similar services on their own "server" if at all
possible.

If you want to go this route then I also suggest you consider finding
some donations to help cover the costs of maintaining the server. Our
cost is around $1000/yr but anything helps of course.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks-

--
Lance Albertson
Systems Administrator / Architect