[sugar-sur] [IAEP] Sugar Labs 2017 Budget

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho en hotmail.com
Jue Mar 2 12:28:15 EST 2017

Hi...

This thread is so tangled it is hard to tell who says what. But, it is very evident that there are 2 basic viewpoints. Here they are with my comments on each:

1) Reward a few of the many past contributors to SugarLabs handsomely with a stipend (like a retirement check?) and no defined further responsibilities, leaving out many, many other contributors who have given as much or more and may also be in need of financial support. This would eat up most of the year's budget.

2) Plan, plan, plan! As the saying goes, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!" We need to this first before planning any large expenses. A vision statement, goals in line with our vision, and measurable objectives to achieve those goals, so that when we look for further funding we can say, "This is what we did and these were the results." (Badges will definitely not do this and may actually scare away future funders).

When we have these objectives in hand, we can fund specific projects with specific measurable results including follow-ups over time to see if the results will be lasting. For each project we should be able to answer questions like: How does this project help us meet our goals? What lasting effects do we expect? How can we build on what we have learned from the successes and failures in this project?

We need to get back on track on this.  Without the vision, goals, and objectives in mind, it is impossible to tell if we are on the "right track."

"Badges" will do nothing to further the greater good for SugarLabs!

Caryl