[somos-azucar] Estamos haciendo Sugar Camp Lima 2011

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress en gmail.com
Vie Oct 28 14:50:15 EDT 2011

2011/10/28 Koke Contreras <kokecontreras en gmail.com>

> The pisco sours I can prepare the self. I think Kiko has shown desperation
> and angst of the context in whichwe are in Peru, many years trying to
> bring from the periphery and few opportunities to act from within the
> system.
>
> SugarCamp be a valuable opportunity to propose from the experience and practice
> that has been carriedout with great enthusiasm from school.
>
> Cris forward to your early arrival.
>
> A hug and we ...
>
> Koke

I do understand the frustrations, changing the world (even just your corner
of it) is not an easy thing to accomplish.  I have worked with OLPC as a
volunteer since 2007 and with Sugar Labs since their founding and while I do
not always agree with the directions taken, I have always sought to engage
in a positive manner, and most importantly to understand the constraints
within which each organization operates and their interactions with their
partners.  There is no point in complaining to someone who cannot solve the
problem that I may perceive.

I would strongly encourage anyone to read "Getting to Yes: Negotiating
Agreement Without Giving In"

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Yes-Negotiating-Agreement-Without/dp/0140157352

also translated into Spanish:
http://www.amazon.com/Obtenga-Si-Getting-Yes-Negociar/dp/8480889985

It is a product of the Harvard Negotiation Project and contains much wisdom
in a very accessible form.

One of the key points is "to be hard on the problem, and soft on the
people".  The last thing we need is a circular firing squad.  The
differences that we may have amongst ourselves about approaches and methods
are small compared to the areas of common interest that we have in improving
education.  We must seek every opportunity to work together where we can
find common ground and ways to disagree amicably where we cannot.

The concepts in the book mentioned above has been very helpful to me
throughout my professional career and even in my personal life.  It has
simple, but powerful truths that can be employed quite practically in
everyday life.

cjl

P.S.  I understand that questioning whether the Pisco Sour originated in
Peru or Chile is not a good way to make friends in either country, so I will
studiously avoid raising that question.  :-)