[Sugar-devel] Proposal for Adding AI chatbot in Chat Activity (GSoC 2024)

Debasis Sikdar debasis.sikder123 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 14:06:32 EDT 2024

Dear Team,

I am Debasis Sikdar, a sophomore in KIIT University, Odisha. I am pursuing
a B.Tech. in Computer Science and Engineering. I have been targeting GSoC
for a year now and I am willing to learn more and contribute to Open-Source.

Topic: Adding an AI chatbot to the Topic: Adding an AI chatbot to the Chat
Activity

Tech-stack: Python, Google.GenerativeAI, UI/UX, PyGTK, SQLite, Pyttsx3

Timeline:

Week 1:

Exploring Gemini API's features and getting familiar with the Sugar Labs
codebase.

Week 2-3:

I'll begin integration of the Gemini API and PyGTK for the UI, I can add
support for voice chat using Speech Recognition and pyttsx3.

Week 4-5:

Chatbot Training & Refinement so that in any case it does not provide any
harmful or bad response, I'll use safety prompts and filter the output
i.e., text or sound generated.
I'll save the chats in a local database (not shared due to privacy
concerns) using SQLite for the user to access any chat they previously had.
After 1st Evaluation.

Week 6-7:

Testing on Different I/O and making sure that answers are made simpler for
children, I will add extra prompts for this purpose which will be
abstracted away.

Week 8-9:

The project is finally coming to an end. After integrating, training and
testing we are left with handling of edge cases and UI.
In this week I'll also be designing the UI with PyGTK.

Week 9-10:

Testing the whole project after deploying and fixing any errors generated
in the process.
The project can now be merged with the Source.
This is my plan for the project listed, there can be minor changes to the
plan if required.

I am grateful to Sugar Labs and GSoC for offering this opportunity and I am
looking forward to a favourable response.

Thank You,