[Sugar-devel] Does Sugar on XO-1 support Python 3?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Mar 15 18:16:05 EDT 2024

Um, I disagree.  The XO-1 distribution of OLPC OS is not based on
Fedora 18 because of the large number of activities only available for
Python 2.

It is based on Fedora 18 because we couldn't get Fedora 20 to work
reliably in time for production of XO-1.75 and XO-4, in turn because
we didn't have enough engineering resources applied to the problem.
We turned instead to further stabilising the software at the Fedora 18
release point, and that was our strategy until the NL3 and ED2 models,
which used stable Ubuntu releases.

The number of still working OLPC XO-1 laptops is too tiny now to
consider it other than a hobby or enthusiast persuit.  It is great
that you found one working, but that is becoming rare.

If you want to counter the software age-related problems, one of the
cute methods is to add a piggy-back Raspberry Pi Zero {,2} configured
as a USB network interface.  Applications such as Firefox or Chrome
can be launched from the Pi onto the X display of the XO-1.