[Sugar-devel] Regarding contribution in Sugar Repository

Chihurumnaya Ibiam ibiam at sugarlabs.org
Tue Feb 22 12:15:16 EST 2022

Hi Saumya,

If I understand correctly, you currently make changes to sugar locally from
a cloned repo and you're trying to get these changes to your Sugar VM,
if that's the case then you can either copy the files you changed to the VM
via ssh with rsync or scp and move the file to the right directory so you
can test it.

For changes to Sugar activities, you can clone activities in ~/Activities
in the VM and copy your changed files to the specific activity in that
folder, you should be
able to see the cloned activity from the activity ring in Sugar and to test
your changes you can start a new instance of the activity and you should be
able to see your changes.

For changes to sugar and it's core APIs, the source code in the vm can be
found at /usr/src/sugar(-artwork, -toolkit-gtk3, -datastore) and
/usr/src/gwebsockets,
you can build any of the APIs after copying your changes, check here
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-live-build/blob/master/src/config/hooks/normal/0900-sugar.hook.chroot>
for how to build any of the APIs.
Changes to any of the APIs can only be done as root and require a restart
to propagate.

Activity and Sugar logs can be found at ~/.sugar/default/logs.

If you use vim, you can make changes directly as you can access the VM via
ssh, this removes the need to copy files to the VM.

Hope that helps!

--

Ibiam Chihurumnaya
ibiam at sugarlabs.org