[Sugar-devel] Towards ASLOv4 - Sugar Labs Activity Library v4

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Nov 19 00:38:09 EST 2020

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 10:50:58PM +0300, Srevin Saju wrote:
> G'day again!
>
> After 7 months of testing, iterations, bug reports, we have finally come up
> with ASLOv4, Sugar Labs Activity Library v4.

Thanks for working on this.

> Thanks to Bernie for helping me out set it up!
>
> So far, we have 3 activities on aslo-v4:
>
> * Browse Activity
> * JupyterLabs Activity
> * Implode Activity

That's reasonable.  There have been no new activities released
recently.  You should update
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/blob/master/src/contributing.md
"Checklist - maintainer" with what should be done by whomever releases
the next activity.  This is urgent.  I know Ibiam plans to work on
activities soon, and who knows, maybe I might do some too.

Meanwhile, if you wish to release another activity, please do so.

> Things to consider:
>
> * What would be the new sub-domain name? (v4.activities.sugarlabs.org,
> activities-4.sugarlabs.org, aslo4.sugarlabs.org)

Use activities.sugarlabs.org, showing the old view for Sugar 0.112 and
earlier, otherwise the new view.  It will require a bit of PHP porting
to happen, but that's well documented upstream.

While we wait for that porting to happen, a new name is not required.

> * Are there are any missing features to add, which have not been discussed
> before? (https://github.com/sugarlabs/aslo-v4)

I don't remember which have been discussed before, but what I'd like
to see is;

1.  show "Browse" when the search string is set to "bro"; currently it
shows "Implode", possibly related to #34; a simple substring search
could be used instead of a library,

2.  provide a list of all activity bundles available; currently the
default page is not suitable as a list,

3.  support Sugar's microformat software upgrade feature in My
Settings, so that a new release can cause automatic upgrade,

4.  change Browse to show if an activity bundle, by name and version,
is already installed, (this is what Android and iOS app stores can do,
but will require integration between Browse, Sugar, and the web app),

5.  change Browse default page to link to the web app, if it takes on
a different name to activities.sugarlabs.org.

> Interesting features
>
> * Improved, accessible user interface
> * Lightweight, static web pages
> * Written in Python, Vanilla Javascript, HTML and CSS
> * Support for Flatpak apps
>
> For an extensive documentation and feature set: see
> https://github.com/sugarlabs/aslo-v4
>
> Right now, we are having a dynamic IP address (because of ambiguity in the
> assigned slots), its accessible here: http://18.27.196.217,
> https://people.sugarlabs.org/~srevinsaju/aslo

To say "No info provided" on the JupyterLabs activity seems
unecessary.  I suggest changing this to

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/