[Sugar-devel] State of Sugar?

Martin Guy martinwguy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 09:24:37 EST 2020

On 02/11/2020, Bastien <bzg at bzg.fr> wrote:
> James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> writes:
>
>> I disagree that the focus has shifted or that it should be shifted
>> back to what it was.  The state of Sugar Labs, Sugar, Sugarizer, and
>> Music Blocks is due to the contributors we have, and they are too few.

> I understand the reasoning, but I don't think it's an effective way of
> dealing with the lack of contributors.

The strategies and manners that help grow the contributor base are
many, though having a clear mission statement is one of them. Other
are listed in the book Producing Open Source Software (readable on
producingoss.com) chapter 8 "Managing volunteers".

Each individual contributor probably has their own different
specialities and areas of interest (and maybe their own mission :) but
the declared objective helps people interact with the org.

On-topic again, the current banner on sugarlabs.org is "Sugar Labs
contributes to and helps maintain the award-winning Sugar Learning
Platform" which I'm 100% in line with, maybe with "and promoting the
adoption/diffusion/use of".