[Sugar-devel] Progress Update (Port Sugar and core activities to Python3) : 28th May 2020

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu May 28 02:30:19 EDT 2020

Thanks Saumya.

Have you a project plan you can share?  While your GSoC proposal
contained a plan, we did not publish the proposals this year, and
there are likely to be changes to the plan as you learn more detail.

You've said "Review the source code of sugar after 0.112 is released".
I'm worried that isn't exactly what I had expected.  I've seen you
have been reviewing the current sugar code.  Perhaps I did a bad job
of explaining it.

Our project idea
https://github.com/sugarlabs/GSoC/blob/master/Ideas-2020.md#port-sugar-and-core-activities-to-python-3
may be a bit difficult to parse, so I'll take the first item on the
list and expand it for you.

"Review the Sugar source code changes since 0.112 that were made for
porting to Python 3,"

0.  consider the set of repositories sugar, sugar-toolkit-gtk3,
sugar-artwork, sugar-toolkit-gtk3, and each of the Fructose "core"
activity repositories,

1.  in each repository, list the set of _commits_ after the date of
the 0.112 tag, (not the source code of the master branch, but the
commits that led to it),

2.  exclude the commits that were not made for porting to Python 3,

3.  review the commits for correctness using our "Guide for Reviewers"
and our "Python 3 Porting Guide"; in particular whether the commits
are (a) a complete port to Python 3, (or Six in the toolkit), and (b)
adequately tested,

The discovery that led to this project idea was that despite porting
to Python 3 we have seen some regressions that suggest that our
porting was imprecise or hasty.

The next point in the project idea recognises that we didn't have a
good method of testing.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/