[Sugar-devel] Today's Minutes and Next Meeting Time

Srevin Saju srevinsaju at sugarlabs.org
Wed Dec 9 23:13:49 EST 2020

G'day!

I have a topic, which perhaps needs discussion,

We have been using IRC for many years. Recently, some of our
communication moved to Slack, and some to Jitsi. What is Sugar Labs's
idea of a best, unified communication platform which it should recommend
to new developers. Right now, all the guides point directly to IRC, most
new developers, who are interested to contributing to Sugar drop a
message to an IRC channel, and almost never get a reply. This is
possibly because the communication has diversified, or because of a
community split on the basis of communication medium.

Recently, many new developers told us of the difficulties of using IRC
clients, the need for Bouncers, etc. We (some of us) suggested them to
use a Matrix client to connect to #sugar, and indeed they are quite
satisfied with new mode of communication.. The Matrix protocol.

The Matrix protocol is interesting. Sugar had a matrix channel for many
years. Recently we set up a bridge between the matrix channel
(#sugar:matrix.org) and the IRC irc.freenode.net channel, i.e (#sugar),
which helped a few developers to keep connected to the IRC channel
without a bouncer and also make use of newer clients for mobile, for
example Element Android (available  on F-droid, Google Play), and
Element iOS. Element / Matrix has a intuitive web client which supports
reactions and better formatting as compared to IRC, and is the best
place for a developer to start contributing. The most interesting and
useful feature is the IRC bridge, which helps to make use of the best of
Matrix and maintain the connection between the IRC channel and the
Matrix channel. The bridge is a tool which helps to convert the IRC
protocol to the matrix protocol and vice versa.

Topic of discussion, we a Sugar Gitter channel, Sugarizer Matrix
channel, etc. Matrix has the support to integrate everything to a single
channel. What is your opinion?

Interesting points of discussion and helpful material:

* Pull request to add Matrix as a communication medium
(https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/pull/203)
* Matrix Sugar Labs wiki page (https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Matrix)
* Official matrix-irc guide
(https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-appservice-irc/wiki/Guide:-How-to-use-Matrix-to-participate-in-IRC-rooms)

As of now, many popular open source communities use Matrix as the main
mode of communication, and all the sister nodes bridged to the matrix
network
For example:

* Fedora
* KDE
* Mozilla Thunderbird

It would be cool, if we discuss this among a wider range of community,
putting a lot of people's idea rather than two of us discussion [cited].
So, I hope this topic, would be a good candidate for the next SLOBS meeting.

Regards

On 12/9/20 11:48 PM, devin at ulibarri.website wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The date and time of the next SLOBs Meeting
> <https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/Next_meeting> is
> 12-23-20 at 19:30 UTC.
>
> For the next meeting, the agenda is up at
> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/Meeting_Minutes-2020-12-23
> <https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/Meeting_Minutes-2020-12-23>
> We will be discussing a possible "Sugar Labs Code-in", so it would be
> great to have your input.
> I recommend that, if you are interested in attending the meeting, you:
> 1. Mark your calendar. I do my best to send reminders, but today my
> email got trapped in spam and I did not have the time to troubleshoot.
> 2. Please let us know soon if you plan to attend so that we may send
> you a link in advance. Please send your request to
> slobs at lists.sugarlabs.org <mailto:slobs at lists.sugarlabs.org>
> As for today's meeting minutes, they are up at:
>
> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/Meeting_Minutes-2020-12-09
> <https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/Meeting_Minutes-2020-12-09>
>
> Best,
> Devin