[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Port to Python 3, GSoC 2019, Private Mentor Student Discussion

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sat May 11 06:39:41 EDT 2019

soon, or already have been, check the archives.

Details:

GSoC is about 12 weeks of full-time work.  You'll be coding for seven
to eight hours a day.

Mentors will differ, but this is what _I_ expect;

* for about two minutes each half hour, keep a diary, briefly write
down what you did or plan to do.  Your diary is yours, you don't share
it, but you may copy and paste from it, and add explanations if
necessary.

* each day, summarise the diary for that day, and send a report to
your mentor.  You can be very brief, because your mentor will know
exactly what you are doing, and is quite capable of doing what you are
doing.  Usually no detailed explanation needed.

* each week, take the daily reports and add them to a blog entry, with
additional explanation for the rest of the community, who you should
not expect to be capable of doing what you are doing.

For meetings of all students, listen for announcements from Rahul and
Walter, or check what has been said already.  That meeting is the time
and place to say a summary of your blog entry and answer questions
from mentors and other students, so plan to finish your blog entry
before that scheduled meeting.  That would minimise the time you have
to spend.

For meetings specific to your Port to Python 3 project, Rahul and I may
schedule them as we think they are needed.  Or you may ask us for a
meeting.

Not all mentors or community members are able to attend all meetings,
so the mail, blog, and other actions are critical to keep them involved.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/