[Sugar-devel] Expressing Interest GSoC

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Mar 27 00:56:56 EDT 2019

Welcome Ahmed,

Further information about how Sugar works for children can be found in
the documentation https://help.sugarlabs.org/

You can also find more about Sugarizer on the https://sugarizer.org/
site.

Machine Learning is difficult to fit into elementary teaching, as it
is such a narrow and rapidly changing field, with a large base of
prerequisite knowledge.

Yes, there were ideas about Machine Learning, my previous post gave a
link to https://github.com/sugarlabs/GSoC/issues/16

Think of a lesson plan for how a teacher could explain Machine
Learning to a child of nine years of age, without treating it as a
"black box" concept?

Each week I teach a class of about 12 children, and they don't need to
know about Machine Learning or Artificial Intelligence in order to use
the products that depend on it.  It is often enough to say that it is
practical mathematics and logic; which is a deferral.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 09:21:09AM +0200, Ahmed ElSabbagh wrote:
> Hello Sugar Developers,
> I am a student looking for ideas for google Google Summer of Code.
> Your SugarLabs have caught my attention but I find it difficult to understand
> how it works in general as not many tutorials are available.
> I am fairly experienced in writing Python and I wish if possible to create a
> new activity for Machine Learning in Sugar.
> Where could I possibly start and are there any specific ideas for ML
> applications already in your mind for implementation.
> Regards,
> AHS

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/