[Sugar-devel] Error testing collaboration using 2 Oracle virtual machines

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Jun 9 22:12:29 EDT 2019

G'day,

Thanks for your problem report.

I've tested using two KVM instances of Ubuntu 19.04, with Sugar 0.112.
After login but before taking any action, these lines are in
shell.log;

```
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py:1630: Warning: g_value_transform: assertion 'G_IS_VALUE (src_value)' failed
  return _Gtk_main(*args, **kwargs)
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py:1630: Warning: unable to set property 'buddy' of type 'PyObject' from value of type '(null)'
  return _Gtk_main(*args, **kwargs)
```

For Ubuntu 18.04, with Sugar 0.114, these lines are in shell.log;

```
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jarabe/main.py:378: Warning: g_value_transform: assertion 'G_IS_VALUE (src_value)' failed
  Gtk.main()
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jarabe/main.py:378: Warning: unable to set property 'buddy' of type 'PyObject' from value of type '(null)'
  Gtk.main()
```

I've seen these two log lines often.  I'd like them fixed, but I've
not found the cause.  Prefix varies, but the two log lines correspond
in time to the startup of Sugar, and not to the "Make friend" option.
You have equivalent lines in your log.  All log lines are in time
order.

On both Ubuntu 18.04 and 19.04, in the Neigbourhood View of each the
buddy icon of the other is shown.  When I click on "Make friend"
option, the buddy icon remains visible.  When I switch to Group View,
the buddy icon of the new friend is shown.

The traceback in your log happened during startup of Sugar, after the
instance of Neighborhood was created, and completion of an
asynchronous request for valid accounts.

Given when the traceback happened during startup, the traceback is
unrelated to the "Make friend" option.

I've not been able to reproduce the traceback.

The error "Protocol 'jabber' not found on CM 'gabble'" suggests that
the telepathy-gabble connection manager has either;

- failed,

- taken too long to start, (especially likely on a virtual machine), or;

- has not established a connection to your Jabber server.

You reported the same error in your post of 21st May.
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2019-May/056916.html

Nobody else has reported this error.

Given you saw this before, and you probably did not use "Make friend"
at the time, the traceback is again unrelated to "Make friend".

Do you have a Collaboration Server configured in My Setting - Network?

Is the traceback reproducible?  If so, enable debug logging for
telepathy-gabble so you can find out why the connection manager has no
protocol 'jabber'.  If the traceback is not reproducible, then ignore
it; it was likely because telepathy-gabble process did not finish
starting by the time Sugar tried to create an account on the
connection.

Speculating; this is a race condition problem; a race between Sugar
startup and Telepathy, and the fix may have to be done in Telepathy.

On Sat, Jun 08, 2019 at 12:04:32PM +0530, ANIKET MATHUR wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I am using 2 Oracle Vm's having Ubuntu 18.04, using Sugar 0.112, both attached
> to the same internal network. In the neigbourhood view of each the buddy icon
> of other is shown. But when I click on `Make friend` option, the buddy icon
> disappears and I have the following as the traceback
>
> ```
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 604, in
> msg_reply_handler
>     reply_handler(*message.get_args_list(**get_args_opts))
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jarabe/model/neighborhood.py", line
> 738, in __got_accounts_cb
>     self._server_account = self._ensure_server_account(account_paths)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jarabe/model/neighborhood.py", line
> 851, in _ensure_server_account
>     properties)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 70, in __call__
>     return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 145, in
> __call__
>     **keywords)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in
> call_blocking
>     message, timeout)
> dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Error.NotImplemented:
> Protocol 'jabber' not found on CM 'gabble'
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jarabe/main.py:379: Warning:
> g_value_transform: assertion 'G_IS_VALUE (src_value)' failed
>   Gtk.main()
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jarabe/main.py:379: Warning: unable to set
> property 'buddy' of type 'PyObject' from value of type '(null)'
>   Gtk.main()
> ```
> Need help. Thanks!

James Cameron