[Sugar-devel] Suggestions for GSoC 2019

Rahul Bothra rrbothra at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 13:05:08 EST 2019

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 10:47 PM Samson Goddy <samsongoddy at sugarlabs.org>
wrote:
> Sugar Labs Social was never a GSoC project, I don't understand why
> you keep bringing it up

Thanks, I know. I simply pointed that it never reached deployment,
though I'm sure people working on it even as we speak.

> Any "coding" project that is related to Sugar Lab's goals or leads to
> improvement to the mission is eligible as a  Gsoc project.

I agree with this statement. This is what I found on https://sugarlabs.org;
*At Sugar Labs, we make a collection of tools that learners use to explore,*
*discover, create, and reflect.... The mission of Sugar Labs is to support*
*the Sugar community of users and developers and establish regional,*
*autonomous “Sugar Labs” around the world to help learners “learn how*
*to learn” by tailoring Sugar to local languages and curricula.*

I think our goals should be aligned with our mission itself, and I don't
expect revamping a website to be a _goal_.

> Everything is as important as the other

I disagree.
Sugar Desktop is more important than https://sugarlabs.org.
MusicBlocks is more important than ASLO v3. Sugarizer is more
important than the 'not a GSoC project' Sugar Social.

Again, these were my personal opinions of what should be included in
GSoC, subjected to some research and past evidences. There are better
people who've had more experience with GSoC.

Thanks
Rahul