[Sugar-devel] Porting to python 3

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Dec 13 18:12:40 EST 2019

We are not prescriptive about individual development environments;
because there are many good software packages available for cloning,
editing, and uploading Python code.  We also value diversity.

Use whatever tool meets your needs for an effective workflow, and tune
the workflow by configuring your IDE or writing new tools for you
alone.

As for myself, I've all up about 100 laboratory machines, VMs or
remote hosts to manage.

For development of Sugar, each of these are set up with inbound SSH
and preloaded crypto keys so that I can SSH from my IDE.  SSH is used
to transmit files for testing, receive log files, and use a terminal
to query system state.  SSH configuration files are set up to share
network connections, and default to correct username.

Maintaining a Sugar activity is briefly described here;
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/blob/master/src/contributing.md#modifying-activities

My workflow is;

1.  clone the source, unless there is already a clone,

2.  checkout the branch and update it by pulling, and check for work
by anyone else in any forks,

3.  upload to the relevant VMs, (for me this is a script, which has a
continuous loop that uses rsync to copy the source to
vm:/usr/share/sugar/activities/$ACTIVITY.activity and then uses
"inotifywait -e close_write -r ." to wait for me to change any file),

4.  test that the activity works before starting changes,

5.  make changes,

6.  test the changes work, returning to step 5 as needed,

7.  commit changes,

8.  push.

I doubt you will need the scale of my workflow, but understanding it
may help you decide what tools to use.

Shortening the time between iterations of step 5 and 6 is critical to
avoid losing my train of thought.  When testing activities that
support collaboration, I'll have up to four upload loops running, and
the network LEDs blink enthusiastically every time I save a file.

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 10:48:00PM +0530, Abhay Malik wrote:
> Hey, I have a MacBook with a vm running, there are many porting challenges
> which I can do. I also read a couple of blogs on the contribution guide but I
> still can’t understand how to run a repo on my virtual machine, a wiki or a doc
> would be really helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Abhay
>
>     On Dec 11, 2019, at 22:00, Chihurumnaya Ibiam <[1]
>     ibiamchihurumnaya at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     The easiest way would be to install sugar in a vm.
>     [2]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine
>     You can download the live build and install it in the vm. [3]http://
>     people.sugarlabs.org/quozl/sugar-live-build/
>     sugar-live-build-20191014.hybrid.iso
>
>     You can also download Sugar On A Stick [4]https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/
>     Sugar_on_a_Stick/Downloads.
>
>     After installation, you can use ssh to access the machine and clone any
>     repo you want to port and work on it.
>     See our contributing guide [5]https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/blob/
>     master/src/contributing.md
>
>     On Wed, Dec 11, 2019, 4:09 PM Abhay Malik <[6]eshanmalik150216 at gmail.com>
>     wrote:
>
>         As there are many tasks which are for posing for python 3, this is one
>         example of the repo that is already ported ([7]https://github.com/
>         sugarlabs/spirolaterals), before starting this task I wanted to know
>         wether there is any way to run this localy on my Mac machine, is there
>         any wiki that can guide me on how to do this?
>
>         Thanks,
>         Abhay

> [1] mailto:ibiamchihurumnaya at gmail.com
> [2] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine