[Sugar-devel] Using IRC, was Participating in Google Code-In

D. Joe sugarlabs at etrumeus.com
Tue Dec 3 13:53:20 EST 2019

On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 10:03:11PM +0530, Abhay Malik wrote:

> but some of the people here also talk on irc, tho I was not able to use it.

I can try to answer specific questions posted here in email about using IRC.

The first suggestions I'd have for everyone is to 1) make sure you have picked a unique nickname (also known as a 'nick') and 2) registered it using an email address and a password with the freenode network. Then, every time you connect, be sure to 3) identify your nick using that password.

https://freenode.net/kb/answer/registration

It used to be that one could get started using IRC without registering, which made it *much* easier to learn to use, but attacks have necessitated registration to gain full use.

--
D. Joe aka "dzho"