[Sugar-devel] Continued packet loss to MIT Media Lab-hosted Sugar Labs web servers may be resolved

Alex Perez aperez at alexperez.com
Wed Aug 14 12:35:16 EDT 2019

Folks,

  or the past ~48 hours, we've had fairly severe, but sporadic, packet
loss (from 30% to 70%) to the Sugar Labs infrastructure and servers
(freedom, justice, jita) that host our public-facing websites such as:

* translate.sugarlabs.org
* www.sugarlabs.org
* activities.sugarlabs.org
* all Sugar Labs mailing lists

..as well as the ability to ssh to the servers themselves, plus the
management BMC/IPMI hosts for the servers. None of the servers
themselves are actually in a degraded state at the OS level, only the
network is.

Yesterday afternoon, after rooting around for help on who to contact, I
opened a support ticket with MIT, and I got a response from them an hour
or so later, stating: "I'm aware of the issue and am working to
determine the cause. It is either something failing on the switch or
something in the optical path. I'm in the process of replacing
components in the pathway to rule that out."

External monitoring has shown that there have not been any further
problems with the infrastructure for the past hour and a half, so it may
be that they have resolved the problem as of this AM. It's just after
noon where MIT is.

If anybody has any questions, please feel free to e-mail me directly.

Regards,
Alex Perez