[Sugar-devel] GSoC 2019; Selection of Mentors and Projects

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Apr 7 21:11:33 EDT 2019

While it has been a long time for Sugar Labs, our previous experience
is not entirely relevant; how Google sees the event has changed.

Here's some of what Google says now;

--

"What Makes a Good Mentor?" "already part of the developer community".
https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/what-makes-a-good-mentor.html

So if you're not doing the work of a developer now at Sugar Labs, you
are not a good mentor.

--

"Mentors should expect about 4-5 hours a week for each student"
https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/notes-for-first-year-organizations.html

"Google expect they would be willing to mentor students for 5 hours a
week for the next 4 months"
https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/defining-a-project-ideas-list.html

So I'm only in favour of the mentors whom I've seen spending at least
five hours a week on Sugar Labs.  I don't mind having some backup
mentors, but they wouldn't be the best backup we could have.

--

"It is important as a mentor that you are cognizant of the basic skill
set required for the project."

"During the coding phase the student will be implementing the
project. The mentor will be providing advice not just on the technical
aspects of development, but on issues related to the interaction of
the student’s work with the organization. "
https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/the-quick-guide.html

So I'm only in favour of mentors who can do the same work the student
is being asked to do.  I don't mind having some backup mentors who
can't do the same work, but they wouldn't be the best backup we could
have.

--

"Look critically at mentor volunteers. Wanting the job is not a
sufficient qualification. The mentor should be well-known to the

So I'm only in favour of people who are well-known to the developer
community, are reasonable and collegial, and can teach.  I don't mind
having some backup mentors who can't do this.

--

"a mentor acts as an ambassador to help student contributors integrate
into their project’s community."

So I'm in favour of engaging the other skilled people in our community
using the mentor as channel.  Mentors are to come and find you, even
if you aren't listed as a mentor.  This worked for me as a non-mentor
last year.

--

"At the end of the day, the org admin is responsible for the student
and mentor selection decisions. If your org doesn’t give you full veto

So the decision is up to Rahul and Walter.  I'm fine with that.  When
they don't agree, they'll have to compromise.

Stepping down as an organisation administrator or mentor is always an
option, and best done before we get underway.

(By the way, the oversight board did not select our co-administrators,
they selected themselves, and I think that's great.  Be nice to them.)

--

This thread can damage our engagement with students, as it highlights
our failure to communicate and collaborate.

This thread can damage our reputation with the Google Open Source
Program Office.

It is, at heart, a mentor-mentor conflict.  Google has something to
say about that too;

https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/managing-your-mentors.html#sorting-out-conflicts

--
James Cameron