[Sugar-devel] ASLO shut down target date? (was: licensing question)

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri May 25 12:50:54 EDT 2018

On 25 May 2018 at 00:47, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:

> ASLO provides access to Sugar activities (*.xo bundles). Ways in which
> users get Sugar is not relevant.

When James said, "plenty of disk space these days to include all
working activities
in a build", that suggested to me that that this is relevant; when users 'sudo
apt-get install sucrose' will they also get all working activities?

> In my experience, XO users install Sugar from the images on laptop.org.

James, surely "plenty of disk space these days" doesn't apply to images
built for XO-1 machines?

> For Ubuntu, I assume sudo apt-get install sucrose. SOAS is not live and
> the usb stick is built from the SOAS image (dd).

To clarify, when you say, "SOAS is not live", do you mean the last SOAS
image was released a long time ago?

> I haven't yet tried Sugar on RPI but I believe this is a sudo apt-get
> sucrose to Raspbian.

I would expect so

> In each case a number of activities selected by the packager is included.
> However, users should be able to access the entire library.

If a packager includes all working activities, then users can and do access
the "entire" library.

> The fundamental problem is to fix the broken activities.

True; but, even as more broken activities become fixed, given the actually
used packager's images include all working activities, the situation
remains the same.

> Current statistics taken a few minutes ago show that there are 327
> activities available on ASLO alone. These are generally gtk2 activities
> which are not usable in the Ubuntu Sugar. There are 191 activities with
> github repos. Of these, 103 work on the Ubuntu Sugar and are available as
> xo bundles from aslolite.

Good to know. Are those gtk2 .xo bundles 'broken'?

Cheers
Dave