[Sugar-devel] State of Sugar (was: [sugarlabs/ajedrez-activity] Adding A Suitable License (#1))

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue May 22 01:34:00 EDT 2018

I've just checked a mail server; we still have an alias bzg at laptop.org
pointing at bzg at altern.org.  Let me know if you don't need it.

> James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> writes:
>
> > Yes, perhaps that's what I'll do once the commit rate
> > by others falls below 10% of mine.
>
> ... the sentence above woke me up: does it means that your commit
> activity is more than 9x the activity of *all* other contributors?

No.  Walter, Devin, Lionel and some others are heavy contributors at
the moment.

> That would not be completely surprising (or insane or unhealthy) since
> Sugar is a free software and most free softwares I know are led by the
> (heroic) effort of a single individual.
>
> But I may misunderstand your statement.
>
> So let me try a few questions:
>
> - What part(s) of Sugar (including activities) is mostly active?

Over the past year, Sugarizer, Music Blocks, and the core activities.

> - Who is using/testing those active parts?

Lionel, Walter, Devin, myself, and a few others.  No feedback from
schools apart from a study in Madagascar.

> - Who is contributing to Sugar code (including activities)?

As above.

> - Who is supporting Sugar development (including Google through the
>   GSoC)?  Is the OLPC association still somehow involved?

Sugar Labs, SFC, Google, and One Laptop per Child (OLPC, Inc).

Yes.

> Sorry if those questions sound naive, I'm just trying to catch up
> and understand better the ecosystem at large.

No worries.  Good questions.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/