[Sugar-devel] Response in Re: you needed Assistance

Tony Anderson tony at olenepal.org
Sat May 19 05:20:34 EDT 2018

Hi Bastien,

It's the chicken and the egg issue. It is really hard to recruit people
to work on activities because of the high learning curve. I am sure we
could get some help from Rwanda but the technical experience is entirely
with Windows and so git already is over the top.

The original design of Sugar took this into account. An installed
activity is in /home/olpc/Activities with all of the source code
immediately available. Changes to the source code can be made and tested
on the XO.

I think we could get close to this environment by recognizing that
someone can change the code on their own Sugar system and test it there.
When they have fixed a problem or completed building and testing a new
capability, they can then use github as a means to upload the changes to
be merged by the Activity Team.

With the actvities, the code repos are on ASLO since every activity is
its own repo. All that is needed is to unzip the bundle, git init the
folder, and add to github.

This works because we don't have the concerns necessary when adding and
changing the Sugar OS code.

Tony