[Sugar-devel] Meeting #2 of the project Setting up activity server.

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Mon May 7 01:50:29 EDT 2018

Attahed is a spreadsheet inventory of the Sugar activities on ASLO.
Except for clerical errors, this is accurate and complete as of
mid-April, 2018. It reports on 537 activities. With a very nine
exceptions, each activity has an xo bundle on ASLO
(http://downloads.sugarlabs.org/activities). The first column gives the
folder name. The fourth column is the bundle (file name).

The bundles tested on Ubuntu were built (setup.py) from the github
repository (fifth column). There is no assurance that this bundle
corresponds to the bundle with that name on ASLO itself. The testing on
the XO-1.5 is not complete. This testing was done by downloading the
bundle built on Ubuntu to the XO from the schoolserver. The ten
activities on the Ubuntu install were not independently tested.

In Summary, the spreadsheet shows 528 sugar activities (bundles). Of
these, 224 have repositories on github. Of these, 87 work on 0.112 on
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

My assumption is that the official repository for each activity is on
github.com/sugarlabs/. Any bundle released to ASLO is built from the
that repository. This implies a need to get official repositories
established for the 304 activities which do not have one. A reasonable
first focus is on the 137 repositories that do not produce a working
version.

These numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt. For example,
sugar-web-activities are shown among the 304 only because of the testing
procedure. However, with help from interested parties, the spreadsheet
can be made more accurate. It probably needs to be put up on the
Sugarlabs site - possibly on github. I am certainly willing to follow
instructions in this regard.

My primary motivation is to provide an inventory of Sugar activities on
the schoolserver which users can download and install. The school server
view is similar to that cited by Walter. It requires only the simplest
of html5 and javascript. The display is data driven. The primary problem
is to know which of the activities are viable. It can be very
discouraging to download an activity and have it return 'did not start'.

Tony