[Sugar-devel] critical vs pinned repositories, was New pull request reviewers; Rahul and Yash

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Tue Feb 27 23:57:05 EST 2018

This thread illustrates the crazy situation we have put ourselves in.
Now we don't use github because we have too many repositories.

The simple solution is to separate repositories into a Sugar collection
and an Activity collection. The use of fructose (and honey,...) should
be deprecated. The terms have no meaning and are confusing. Can you
imagine the user launching the chat-fructose.activity (not to mention
translating 'fructose' to 100+ languages). Searching 300+ activities is
not necessary if they are sorted alphabetically (abacus.activity,
write.activity) and would be made easier if the activity names in ASLO
matched the repostory names.

The repositories in Sugar should be ones required for a build. A build
requires co-ordinated use of multiple repositories. Activities should be
independent of each other and of Sugar builds. The maker of a build
selects the activities to include in the build from those released.

Browse illustrates the problem with using common dependencies. Now it is
critical to use the Browse version which works with the right build.
This is contrary to the spirit of activities - that Sugar exists to
provide the execution environment for activities. Meanwhile, the
functionality of Browse becomes increasingly impaired. For example,
Browse cannot download or resume html pages. It does not have
configuration capabilities. A 404 error triggers a google search even
when the connection is to a school server. It is not able to display
console.log statements in javascript. It is not able to show the source
code of a web page. It is not capable of saving a web page in the
Journal (it saves urls of open tabs which is normally useless and
consumes time discovering that the XO is not online).

Meanwhile, moving development support to github is making it more
difficult for users to modify their own installation. First, we chose
Python programming in pippy where a user can create an activity by pippy
magic. This, of course, hides the process from the user -- similar to
the effect of using Dreamweaver to create html/css. Now we have taken
development support away from the user who does not have ready internet
access (i.e. more than half our users).

Tomorrow I am scheduled to give a class to secondary school students on
programming. The students are already capable of using the Terminal
activity to navigate and manage the XO file system. Generally I
encourage them to use the Documents folder since it is visible in the
Journal activity.

I plan to start with the Hello World activity. The repository for this
activity is hello-world-fork-master - this for the activity intended to
illustrate the simplest possible activity!!! To display 'Hello World!'
on the screen takes 42 lines of python code. The hello-world-fork-master
repository is a conversion of the original to gtk3 but continues to be
version 6!

I have moved the toolbar related code to a separate file - toolbar.py.
This file is imported into activity.py. This reduces the number of lines
from 42 to 10. This is version 7.

More importantly, this activity is a useful template for user-developed
activities. Al Sweigart has written three books on Python programming
for children and has given them a Creative Commons license!  My plan for
the class is to show the students how to make Al Sweigart's examples
into Sugar activities by copying the hello-world.activity to
guessing-game.activity and updating activity.info in the new activity.
Then the students can copy and paste their code into activity.py.

None of the programs in the Al Sweigart's first two books use GTK (only
print and raw_input). Naturally this is a problem for a Sugar activity
which displays print statements in the log and requires gtk to display
text on the screen. However, this is a learning opportunity for the
students.

I truly wish some of this community effort and ingenuity were applied to
making Sugar a better educational environment, giving our users the
opportunity to explore and create rather than restricting it to elite
developers.

Tony