[Sugar-devel] critical vs pinned repositories, was New pull request reviewers; Rahul and Yash

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 22:34:59 EST 2018

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 10:02 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> My list of critical repositories was on a thread focused on Sugar
> desktop and Python activity code review.  It is less relevant for
> Sugar Labs as a whole.
>
> The mismatch at heart is GitHub's scalability of features for large
> open source projects with many repositories.  We have 292 at the
> moment.  Most are orphaned or abandoned.  Using search is critical.
>
> Once a developer is familiar with our repository layout, the problem
> disappears for them.  Does our ramp-up documentation explain well
> enough?  I don't think I've heard many "where is X?" questions.
>
> We could waste a lot of time moving repositories around to meet
> consistent naming standards; I'd like to see reasoned benefit before
> doing that.
>
> I recently changed the pinned repositories.  I'd have pinned Sugarizer
> and Music Blocks, but they are both being developed outside Sugar Labs
> on GitHub personal accounts.  That's why I've got Browse and Turtle
> Art pinned.

The reason Turtle Blocks and Music Blocks are still hosted in my personal
repo is because we have had a backlog on sysadmin support, it has not been
practical to host projects on the Sugar Labs servers. Using github.io makes
things pretty painless. But because we have not yet set up a github,io
presence for Sugar Labs, so I haven't moved the repos. I'll try to finally
wrap my head around what sugarlabs.github.io might look like and make some
suggestions on this list.

> We could also waste a lot of time on dashboards or other
> meta-development.  If we have a volunteer to do that, great, but I'm
> not putting my hand up.
>
> Repositories containing submodules for a collection of activities
> might be interesting, but it brings a new problem; maintenance of the
> repository in the face of ongoing change in the submodules.  We've had
> to back away from submodules in Browse because of repeating bugs where
> a downstream used a GitHub release tag instead of our tarball.
>
> --
> James Cameron
> http://quozl.netrek.org/

Walter Bender