[Sugar-devel] Flat design causes uncertainty

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 18:17:51 EDT 2017

I am not sure that this is really applicable to the core Sugar interface.
Pretty much everything on the home screen is an icon and is clickable.
Pretty much everything on the activity toolbar is an icon and is clickable.
The idea that icons on a desktop or toolbar are clickable was perhaps a bit
unusual when we started, but it is pretty commonplace today. I have a hard
time believing drop shadows or color would make much difference. Perhaps on
some of the control panels or in some specific apps there are places where
"flat" is confusing users?

That said, adding some more color would be fine by me as I don't think
assigning the user colors to the activity icons was every that meaningful
(except as an indication that the activity had previously been run) but it
has constrained us quite a bit in terms of icon design.

regards.

-walter

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 6:04 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> A redesign of the GTK+ theme to identify clickable objects would be
> welcome.
>
> How?  Just shading or bevels?  Here's another idea;
>
> Monochrome icon restrictions were needed to support the monochrome
> sunlight readable display of the XO-1 through to XO-4 products.
>
> With our new products with indoor displays, the monochrome icon
> restriction may be lifted, although children with colour blindness
> should still be considered.
>
> When lifting this restriction, either contrast or reserved colours may
> be used for identifying clickable objects.
>
> On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 06:38:24PM -0500, Sebastian Silva wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This article, and the related research, made me think of Sugar and how
> > sometimes it's unclear which parts of the UI are clickable.
> >
> > It might be we're up for a redesign?
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > Sebastian
>
> --