[Sugar-devel] GSOC Plans

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Tue May 23 04:34:03 EDT 2017

Hi, Jatin

Walter has designate Sam Cantaro as a co-mentor. Super news. He isn't
yet listed as a mentor on the GSOC site, but I expect that will take place.

I looked at http://aslo.jatindhankhar.in/aslo/. Not much change there.

Your images are missing. What I usually do is use the browser to display
the image information. This shows the url where it thinks they are.
Usually they are in in the static root and accessible by a relative path
from there. The activities are shown in a vertical column. A simple css
rule should fix that:

display:inline-block

which applies to the tile class. Then the tiles are displayed by a <ul>
which formats a tile with an image (icon) and a caption (name of
activity). One design detail, the entire tile should be clickable to
invoke the activity screen.

I am still optimistic that the discussion on ASLO will converge. If so,
there will be a lot of house-cleaning to do to enable ASLO to get its
information from the bundles and enable us to dispense with the
Developer Hub functionality.

When you are ready, you can create a repository on github and move the
prototype to Sunjammer. In the meantime, you can point folks to the url
above.
Once you have a github repository, we should be able to use its wiki
capability to document the design. A lot can also be done with comments.

Remember that L10N has two separate aspects. Localization of the ASLO
site and the localization for the activity itself. As I understand the
dialog, the text for the summary and description are in the POT file for
some activities. This means that localization for specific activity
screens can be done using this text from the bundle. With careful
design, we may be able to use the same ASLO POT file for all activity
screens getting the activity specific strings from the bundle. Luckily
with Django Pootle and gettext are available. All you need to do is
fetch the strings and send them to the template based on the locale of
the user.

You'll probably need a widget on the main screen to allow the user to
select a language.

Tony