[Sugar-devel] GSOC Plans

Jatin Dhankhar dhankhar.jatin at gmail.com
Tue May 23 13:03:05 EDT 2017

Hi,

Yes, I also noticed it's on the SugarLabs Wiki (
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code)  but not on the GSOC site.

I looked at http://aslo.jatindhankhar.in/aslo/. Not much change there.

 Yes, I didn't make much progress in the direction. It will change soon,
now that my exams are over, I can dedicate a big day of my time for
development.

Your images are missing. What I usually do is use the browser to display
> the image information. This shows the url where it thinks they are. Usually
> they are in in the static root and accessible by a relative path from
> there. The activities are shown in a vertical column. A simple css rule
> should fix that:
>
> display:inline-block

Thanks, for the tips. I tried something similar by analyzing resources
requested in chrome network analyzer, issue indeed is related to
STATIC_ROOT_FOLDER. Will try out the css rule, will inline it with html for
the time being.

I am still optimistic that the discussion on ASLO will converge. If so,
> there will be a lot of house-cleaning to do to enable ASLO to get its
> information from the bundles and enable us to dispense with the Developer
> Hub functionality.

I am hoping for the same.

When you are ready, you can create a repository on github and move the
prototype to Sunjammer. In the meantime, you can point folks to the url
above.

> Once you have a github repository, we should be able to use its wiki
> capability to document the design. A lot can also be done with comments.

 Sure thing :)

Remember that L10N has two separate aspects. Localization of the ASLO site
> and the localization for the activity itself. As I understand the dialog,
> the text for the summary and description are in the POT file for some
> activities. This means that localization for specific activity screens can
> be done using this text from the bundle. With careful design, we may be
> able to use the same ASLO POT file for all activity screens getting the
> activity specific strings from the bundle. Luckily with Django Pootle and
> gettext are available. All you need to do is fetch the strings and send
> them to the template based on the locale of the user.

Yes, will look into as well.

 You'll probably need a widget on the main screen to allow the user to
> select a language.

Something similar to what Django doc does ?

Thanks,
Jatin Dhankhar