[Sugar-devel] ASLO activities with no repository

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Mon May 22 23:23:25 EDT 2017

Hi, James

Thank for these details. I am trying to find out what the standards are
for these repositories.

Tony Forster contacted me by private email to let me know that
textdungeon did not have a repository. Version 4 is version 3 with the
removal of

import simplejson

which causes an activity to fail with python 2.7.

In summary, in making a repository:

     * the commits need
             --author
             --date
             --compiled files such as .pyc should be deleted
      *git history should show each available version when created from
a bundle
      *delete MANIFEST
      *add a .gitignore file (I understand this to be the same for all
activities)

Regarding thoughts:
         b) how is an installed activity to work without these files in
the bundle? How is source code for object files kept in the repository
(e.g. box2d)?
         c) this is the goal. However, how do you do this for an
activity for which there is no repository?
         d) I don't understand you here. Any developers will see an
activity with a link to a repository. How is that confusing?
         e) A repository provides a standard way to document problems
that prevent the activity from working. Many activities in github may
not work at a given time in the development, maintenance cycle. This has
no effect until the bundle is released to ASLO. We have a fact that
there are many (about one-half) bundles in ASLO that do not work. The
best I can do is test and write an issue as to why they don't work. As
volunteers get time, they can address the issues.
         I am not a 'maintainer' on ASLO. This permission would be helpful.

Tony