[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] (Goals and Mission) with Microsoft in it?

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Wed May 17 02:44:10 EDT 2017

The proposal is online at
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations. Click on Sugar Labs.
There are 9 accepted proposals, each with a pdf description.

The project intends to refresh ASLO using Django. Django is a 'fusion'
framework involving Python plus templates using HTML5. It is currently
maintained and in widespread use. The concern expressed when ASLO
crashed was that it was based on an obsolete version of PhP and that
there was no one in the community who was currently familiar with the
implementation. Using Python and HTML5 in a well-known framework should
make it easier to maintain.

The community has chosen to move the activity repository to
github/sugarlabs. The apparent goal is to make the activities more
maintainable by the community over the previous individual contributor
model. This implies that the current 'Developer Hub' part of the site be
replaced by a github process.

The connection between github and ASLO in this new model is that someone
with appropriate permissions will review a submitted new activity
version and publish it to ASLO (setup.py dist_xo and uploading to
download.sugarlabs.org/activities).

The activity.info file could be expanded to include the 'metadata' now
stored on ASLO (developer, summary, description, works with, and links
to the activity repository on github/sugarlabs). This would facilitate
maintenance of this information by the developer/maintainer by
submitting changes to activity.info to git and, perhaps, eliminate
dependency on a database.

One hope is that the project design will support easy replication of
ASLO on school servers for deployments without access to the internet.

There may be impact on the software update procedure but at the moment
that is also outside the scope of this project. Extending the project to
School Network is also outside the scope.

The next step in the project with support from Sam Cantaro is to install
a working model on Sunjammer as activities2.sugarlabs.org so that
everyone can see it and provide input. The project will be opened on
github/sugarlabs.

This phase of GSOC is always a little slow as the participants are in
year-end exam cycles.

Tony